Friday, October 7, 2011

Burn2 - The Temple

The first time I saw it I gasped. I had zoomed in on a build to look at a section. I backed off to look at the whole and was awestruck! It was so beautiful, amazing and enticing. Only then did I realize it was part of The Temple! Surrounded by the evening stars, the curves, arches, crystal windows and spires reaching up took me out into the universe. Parts seemed familiar. When I learned the creator's name I realized why. Damanious Theta is a well known builder and artist in SL. I have some of his jewelry in which I can see some of the same curves and flourishes It is quite remarkable.

I asked Damanios about his intended effect. His response was “The theme of Burning Man is Rites of Passage, so I wanted to make something which changes from dark to light, which is why the bottom is dark (unenlighted) and the top is light/white (enlighted) and the shapes are trying to reflect this dichotomy between 'uninitiated/unenlighted' (the bottom shapes with the tentacle like things etc. more or less representing the 'natural/prehistoric/unenlighted part'" He also told me in his humble way, "I'm mostly more down to earth, just some shapes I liked, combined." I smiled.

In the deserts of Nevada at the real Burning Man there is a temple too. The day after the Burning of the man, they burn the temple. People come there to the temple to leave notes, or remembrances of loved ones. At the SL Playa one can leave notes in the fire at the center. In real life as the temple burns the notes are read aloud and here too they will be read as this temple burns. It is difficult to think of this spectacular structure being built to burn at the end of this festival. But, that is the point of it all. It is transitory except in memory. I hope you will be able to make it over to the temple before it is ashes. It is one of those SL structures that you will miss when it is not there.

The burn will take place on Sunday. Luckily you will have three chances to see it burn, as with The Man on Saturday. This is so planned to accommodate the world time zones You can see both schedules here http://burn2.org/burn_the_man_schedule .

Click here and it will take you right to the entrance of The Temple: http://slurl.com/secondlife/Burning%20Man-%20Black%20Rock/227/188/24

Gemma Cleanslate

No comments:

Post a Comment